Falls Risk Assessment & Prevention
Our experienced occupational therapy team provides falls risk assessments and prevention advice aimed at improving your safety and maintaining independence at home.
What Does A Falls Risk Assessment Involve?
- Impact of health conditions, vision loss, medication effects
- Cognition: ability to see and respond to hazards and risks
- Your falls history
- Everyday mobility e.g. ability to use steps, endurance, walking aid suitability
- The effect of fear of falling
- Environmental hazards like slippery floors, low lighting, high steps.
Who Will Benefit From A Falls Risk Assessment?
Falls prevention isn't just for older people. Assessments benefit anyone who:
- Has vision problems
- Has a cognitive impairment
- Has foot pain or poor footwear
- Has a vitamin D deficiency
- Uses medicines such as tranquillisers, sedatives or antidepressants
- Has lower body weakness or difficulties with walking and balance
- Has home hazards or dangers such as uneven floors, clutter that can be tripped over, no handrails on steps.
Recommendations May Include
We may also identify other needs like medication review or exercise needs for you to follow up.
Falls Prevention Exercise Program
We can design and support you with a home exercise program.
LiFE is an innovative, evidence-based home exercise program using everyday activities to improve balance and strength, delivered by an Occupational Therapist.
Balance and strength training is incorporated into everyday activities and routines. LiFE has been shown to reduce the need for assistive equipment and home modifications for falls prevention by 31%.
A LiFE program includes up to 5 in-home face-to-face sessions with an Occupational Therapist over 3 months, follow-up phone calls and a workbook.
You could be eligible for government funding to cover the cost of our services, as well as the cost of equipment and home modifications. Please ask us for more information.
Book Your Falls Risk Assessment Now
Contact InformationRosella Occupational Therapy
PO Box 274,
Erindale Centre, ACT 2903
Telephone: 0457 206 492
We come to you, with home or community visits in Canberra, Queanbeyan and nearby areas.
Opening hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm weekdays.